The 14 Bravais Lattices
(Drag with mouse over each object to rotate)
- Which of these cells are primitive cells?
- How many lattice points per cell?
- Can you see any n-fold rotation axes, where
(Look for them by rotating the object until an n-fold axis
is perpendicular to the screen: do you see the n-fold symmetry
How many rotation axes are there of each type? What are their Miller
- How about mirror planes?
- View each of the cubic cells along a <111> direction. What is
the rotational symmetry about this axis? Which structure (sc, fcc,
bcc) is the most/least densely packed?
- Why is there no such lattice type as, e.g., ``face-centered (F)
``Base-centered (C) tetragonal''?
- Can you see how to represent a primitive trigonal lattice in terms of
the hexagonal conventional cell (i.e., a hexagonal lattice with an
What is the value of n?
© 1999 R. J. Hauenstein